Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Food-o-logy - Katsudon!

Food-o-logy 101.

Being a bit experimental lately since it's the winter break, I decided to cook something Japanese-y, instead of going to a Japanese restaurant which is pretty much in abundance at one's disposal. Nothing beats a good hot home cooked meal. 

Since I just bought a very awesome Japanese recipe book from Amazon for £11, I might as well maximise utility. 


I decided to make myself a yummy Katsudon. Katsudon is a popular Japanese food. It's a bowl of japanese rice topped with pork cutlets, egg, and other condiments. Taking into account of the sauces, meat, eggs and rice, this big bowl of Katsudon only costs £3.20 compared to the prices of £7-9 paid in restaurants. 

Here's the recipe for a simple dish that will make your tummy filled with content :)

Serves 1 and the ingredients are:
1 cooked tonkatsu pork steak (I do not have a tonkatsu pork steak, so I used a normal pork steak instead)
50g onion, peeled (I used 1/2 an onion)
1-2 medium eggs - to taste
100ml dashi stock (I do not have dashi stock at my disposal, so I used half a cube of chicken stock and 100ml of hot water to dilute it)
30ml soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon sugar
a bowl of hot cooked Japanese rice

1. Cut the tonkatsu pork steak into 6 bite-sized pieces. Slice the onion thinly. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs together.
2. Put the dashi, soy sauce, mirin and sugar into a small saucepan and cook over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Add the onion and cook until it starts to soften and then add the tonkatsu pork steak and cook until heated through.
4. Pour the beaten egg on top of the tonkatsu pork steak and leave to cook - do not mix it in. When the eggs looks almost cooked, cover the pan with a lid, turn off the heat and allow it to absorb the flavours.
5. Carefully tip the tonkatsu pork steak, the onion and the remaining liquid onto a bowl of hot rice and eat immediately.

Simple as that!


I added some chilli flakes too!

No comments:

Post a Comment